will collect and review books to donate to a family shelter or homeless
organization. They will raise money to purchase books and organize a school wide
book drop for book donations. They will read selected books and write book
reviews (which are then affixed to the book).
1. Homeless Awareness Activities*
2. Favorite Books: Brainstorm favorite books in different genres. Bring in
favorite books to share and survey parents as to their favorite books.
3. Compile list of favorite books from class
4. New books: Teacher shares new and other books with class.
5. Add books to list; type in spreadsheet according to genre.
6. Write a Book Review: Teacher models a review on a selected picture book.
Students choose a book to review with a partner. Share with class.
7. Purchase books
8. School flyer/announcement--Book Drive
9. Book Reviews: Students select a picture book, fiction and nonfiction book to
read and review. Reviewers are shared with class and affixed to inside page of
book. Parents are also invited to write book reviews.
10. Book Collection --Sorting books collected in Book Drive. Use spreadsheet.
Various math activities to estimate value of books.
Teacher Read Aloud Discussions
Contact agencies Speaker
Agency research Creative writing
Read news articles, etc.
Letters to the editor Research world poverty
Math - statistics
Class Project Books
Articles Stories Teaching